Thank you for your interest in joining our team. Please take a moment to read through the following information and reach out to us using the "Contact Us" option if you have any questions.
First, let us share with you the requirements for becoming a firefighter with Little Axe Fire Department.
Starting in 2015, LAFD implemented a new recruit training program which will requires firefighter applicants to attend a specific training before being able to respond to calls. This program is designed to take an applicant with no prior experience and make them an asset to the department and the community as quickly as possible. Successful candidates that complete this in house academy will graduate as a probationary firefighter, ready to join the team, answer calls and continue their training to full certification. All firefighters must complete a minimum twelve month probationary period after graduation from academy.
The academy duration varies slightly based on schedule availability of instructors and students but averages 6-8 weeks, two evenings during the week and one full weekend day.
If you are already an experienced firefighter relocating to our area and looking to be part of a professional and progressive team, make sure to attach documentation of your previous training to your application or bring it with you to your first interview. The academy is still a requirement for all firefighter applicants, however depending on your experience you may find yourself assisting in teaching portions of the skills and sharing your experiences with your new brother and sister candidates.
Participation in this phase is required because of the nature of the academy environment and coming together as part of the team. It also provides a great chance to refresh skills and build relationships with your new extended family.
Things you should know before applying...
- Applicants will be required to attend one or more interview panels.
- You will need to know your blood type if selected as a firefighter candidate.
- Firefighters are required to complete specific training goals during each of your first three years.
- All firefighters, including probationary, will be expected to respond at odd hours and in inclement weather for emergencies.
- The Little Axe Fire Department is an all-volunteer organization. As such all positions are unpaid and you will receive no monetary compensation for your time.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Little Axe Fire Department. We look forward to meeting you!